Thursday, March 25, 2010

GUIDE'S OWN PRAYERS AND READINGS

PRAYERS / READINGS / STORIES
PRAYERS
Write prayers of thanks. For example: for the gift of sight - to be able to see the beauty of nature, to see a smile, tears of joy or sadness, familiar faces.

THANKSGIVING
Hold up cards of the individual letters of the word THANKSGIVING as thoughts are shared for each letter. That is:
• T is for togetherness and time spent with friends and family and at Guides.
• H is for happiness, harmony and honesty.
• A is for ability to learn new things and serve others
• N is for never giving up because we know we have our sisters in Guiding to help us
• K is for kindness for all people and animals
• S is for smile which costs nothing but gives much
• G is for giving of our time to help others which enriches those who receive it but does not make us poorer
• I is for I will follow the Promise & Law so I can live a better life
• V is for virtues which we will learn from following the Law & Promise
• I is for introducing others to our wonderful world of Guiding
• N is for nature and our need to help our environment
• G is for grateful for being alive and able to enjoy our lives
STORIES OF THE HEART:
• of people who experienced adversity and were still thankful, such as Helen Keller,
• of those who tried to make life better for others, like Mother Theresa or Dr John Flynn of the Inland (Royal Flying Doctor Service)
• Stories of the Dreamtime
READINGS
• Find readings by Helen Steiner Rice or in your Holy Book or from Sharing or Searching.
READING 1
I wish you enough sunshine to keep your attitude bright
I wish you enough rain to make you appreciate the sunshine more
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joy in life appears much bigger than it is
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your longing
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all you posses
I wish you enough Hellos to get you through the final goodbye

READING 2 Lord Baden Powell
I believe that God put us in this jolly world to be happy and enjoy life. Happiness doesn’t come from being rich, nor successful nor by self indulgence. Happiness is to make yourself strong & healthy while you are young so that you can enjoy life as a woman. The real way to happiness is by giving out happiness to other people. Try and leave this world a little better than you find it.



READING 3
A smile costs nothing to give but gives much. It enriches those who receive it without make us poorer for giving it. It takes but a moment but the memory of it can last forever. None is so rich or might they can go without a smile. A smile creates happiness, foster goodwill and is a sign of friendship. A smile cannot be bought, begged or borrowed for it has no value if it is not given away. If someone does not smile give them one of yours

READING 4
When I became a guide I made a promise to myself and to everyone else. A promise which I am committed to keep, no matter what happens in my life, no matter how I feel at any time.

A promise to do my nest, my very best and not just a best which is half hearted or second rate. A promise to do my duty to God, remembering that God that has many different names and many different meanings to us all. A promise to serve the Queen and my country so I can improve our lives here.

A promise to help other people whoever they are: not just people I know, not just people who look like me, not just when it suits me but whenever & wherever help is needed. W promise to keep the Guide law, whatever I am doing, day by day: to keep it so that other people can be sure I have the qualities that they expect of me- courage & loyalty, resect & consideration and self control

READING 5
Let us forgive and forget our differences
Let us strive for a better future for the world
Let there always be peace & no more wards
Peace is what everyone wants but do not always remember to keep
Let the example begin with me

READING 6
It is hard to be honest, to apologise, to always smile, to begin all over again
It is hard to make the best of things, to keep your temper, to admit error
It is hard to take advice, to forgive and forget, to help other people
BUT IS PAYS

READING 7
SOME THINGS TO LEARN ABOUT NOAH’S ARK
Plan ahead- it was not raining when Noah built the Ark
Stay fit- when you are 600 years old someone might ask you to do something really big
Don’t listen to negative criticism- do what has to be done
Speed is not always an advantage- the cheetahs were on board, but so were the snails
Don’t forget we are all in the same boat
Remember that amateurs built the Ark- professionals built the Titanic
Do not miss the boat



READING 8
SOME THINGS TO LEARN FROM DOGS
Allow the experience of fresh air and wind in your face to be pure ecstasy
When a loved one comes home always run to greet them
Run, romp and play daily
Be loyal
Never pretend to be something your are not
If want you want lies buried, dig until you find it
When someone is having a day, be quiet, sit close and love them
Delight in the simple joy of a long walk
Thrive on attention and let people touch you

No comments:

Post a Comment